Undergraduate Programs in Statistics
Overview of the Undergraduate Programs in Statistics
Statistics programs include both non-statistics and statistics courses. Non-statistics courses can include linear algebra, calculus, and computer programming. Statistics courses train students in the fundamentals of data science and analysis, statistical computing, the communication of statistical concepts, probability theory, the design of experiments, and the understanding of surveys. Typical progression through these courses is illustrated in this flow chart and details about each course are available in our course outlines.
Statistics Major And Honours Programs
Our major and honours programs are designed for students seeking in-depth knowledge of statistical methods and the skill to modify or develop methods to tackle challenging quantitative problems. These programs are tailored to reflect the current employment market and to provide students with an up-to-date, solid foundation for a career as a professional statistician.
Students may also combine study and work through SFU's co-operative education program or research assistanceships. Such experience with solving real-world problems complements classroom learning and provides a head start when establishing a career.
Statistics Minor Program
Our minor program targets students who want a working knowledge of standard methods of analyzing data. Their main interest is usually in another discipline, but they recognize the value of statistical methods in their future work.
Second Degree Students
If you already hold a university degree and are seeking a second degree in Statistics, please see these university guidelines.
To remain in the Statistics major program, students need to maintain at least a 2.25 GPA in STAT, ACMA (excluding ACMA 210 if doing so results in a higher GPA), MACM, and MATH courses. To remain in the Statistics honours program, students need to maintain at least a 3.0 GPA in STAT, ACMA (excluding ACMA 210 if doing so results in a higher GPA), MACM, and MATH courses.
AStat Accredited Courses
- Calendar entry for Statistics
- Environmental Science (Environmentrics, Quantative Methods in Resource Management) Options
- Faculty of Science information
- Admission to SFU (Office of the Registrar)
Schedule of STAT courses
- Current time table for SFU Undergradate and Graduate classes (choose the term, hit "Go" and then select STAT from the dropdown menu of course subjects).
- Course rotation pattern for next 6 semesters
- Course outlines
Financial Support and Awards
SFU offers many scholarships and bursaries to undergraduate students. Please see the University Calendar or our Student Awards page for more details. Undergraduate students in Statistics and Actuarial Science will be particularly interested in the Statistics and Actuarial Science Endowment Award.
- Become a fan of our department on Facebook!
- Career information at the American Statistical Association's Career Center and http://thisisstatistics.org/
- Read some valuable career advice from one of our faculty members, Tom Loughin.
- Learn about professional accreditation through the Statistical Society of Canada and the accredited courses we offer.
- One page summary about Statistics and Actuarial Science at SFU (pdf)