Frequently Asked Questions
You can search this document for answers/solutions to your queries (e.g. search for words "registration", "program", "advising")
Be aware of REGISTRATION DEADLINES:
Please make sure that you provide your student number in your emails!
If you have not declared your major and if it will be in a program outside of our department, please see an Advisor at Student Services
When you need to talk about our academic programs or courses you may wish to either make an appointment by emailing an advisor or by seeing one during their advising hours. For advising information please see the Advising Schedule.
You should see a faculty advisor for approval in a Statistics program, or when you have questions related to course or program content or have queries that require knowledge of Statistics. Such queries could concern the selection of courses that are not required, academic and career counselling, and course substitutions.
You would seek general advising when you have any other questions about your academic program and also for a review of the degree requirements (a graduation check). Have a look at the Academic Progress Report (APR) at go.sfu.ca and schedule an appointment as per the Advising Schedule. Make sure that you bring your current advising transcript and your APR when you go to see the advisor.
Second Degree Students - please visit Second Bachelors Degree. Please go with a copy of your first degree official and your SFU advising transcript to see an advisor and discuss your second degree program. Please see the Advising Schedule for contact information.
Course Registration Queries - Be aware of the Deadlines
1. When the registration system prevents you from registering for a STAT or ACMA course please empty your "cart" and try to register again. If that does not solve the issue please forward (or copy and paste) the message you receive from the Registration System and send it to our undergraduate secretary Charlene Bradbury (email@example.com). Attach your current advising transcript to that message.
You will be notified by Charlene via email about the outcome of your query.
2. Third Time Taking a Course - Send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining your registration problem and how you are planning to master the course this time. Attach your current advising transcript to that message
If it's clear to you what's preventing you from registering you may choose to follow one of the steps #3 to 7 described below.
3. Missing prerequisite(s) for the course you are trying to register for: fill in the Pre-Requisite Waiver Form and email it together with your advising transcript to our undergraduate secretary Charlene Bradbury (email@example.com). You will be notified by Charlene via email about the outcome of your request.
4. Second Degree Students -Please provide a copy of your first degree official transcript to our undergraduate secretary Charlene Bradbury (firstname.lastname@example.org) to be cleared for prerequisites and you will be notified via email about the outcome of your request.
5. Course Conflicts - Fill in and submit to our undergraduate secretary Charlene Bradbury (email@example.com) the Course Conflict Form and you will be notified by Charlene via email how to proceed.
6. Course Repeat - A total of five duplications (repeats) per a degree program are permitted at SFU. See the SFU Repeat Policy - see #1 above.
7. Course Add - as per the Deadlines in weeks 2 and 3 you may request to be added to the course by emailing a filled in and signed Undergraduate Course Change Application together with your advising transcript to our undergraduate secretary Charlene Bradbury (firstname.lastname@example.org). You will be notified by Charlene via email about the outcome of your request.
8. Duplication Problem/Credits Not Counted – if you notice that credits for a course were not counted or if credits for a course were counted and should not have been please email Charlene Bradbury (email@example.com) a copy of your advising transcript with the course(s) in question. You will be notified by Charlene via email about the outcome of your request.
Program Approval Procedure - Admission to our Programs
We suggest that you do some reading at Statistics & Actuarial Science Undergraduate Studies
When you have specific questions email (attach your advising transcript) or see an advisor as per Advising Schedule
The program approval procedure for the Actuarial Science major is explained on our FAQ page. (Answer #2)
If you think that you are ready to declare a STAT honours, major or a minor please go, with a copy of your current advising transcript, to see Dr. Altman during her advising hour ( Advising Schedule ). Your new STAT program will normally be recorded on your transcript within a week. Make sure that you check that the Plan/Program section of your transcript has the correct information.
Second Degree Students - Please visit Second Bachelors Degree
When you have specific questions email (attach your first degree official transcript and the current SFU advising transcript) or see an advisor as per the Advising Schedule
And for confirmation that statisticians do have a sense of humour you might wish to visit our Statistical Humour page.