Cygwin Installation Notes
Cygwin is a complete Unix-like environment for Windows.
Installation notes are as follows:
- Download the setup program setup-x86.exe and double-click the icon that appears on your desktop to launch it
- You will be presented with a list of packages, grouped into categories. You want the category "Devel" for all the development tools. Click the "+" to expand the category, and then click the word "Default" to chage it to "Install". Click the "Next" button at the bottom of the page
- The installer will then ask if it is OK to resolve any dependencies. Allow it to do so and click "Next".
- Be prepared for the download and installation to take up to 8 hours depending on your internet connection speed and the speed of your computer.
- After the installation, you will be prompted to add a cygwin icon to your desktop. Agree to this.
- Double-click the icon on your Desktop to open a Unix-like shell with access to all the development tools.