The application period for the academic year starting Fall 2019 is now closed. The application period for the academic year starting Fall 2020 will open October 21, 2019 and close January 7, 2020. We do not accept applications after the closing deadline.
These deaDlines are for admission to the following Fall (September) semester.
Application Period Opens: October 21, 2019
Application Period Closes: January 07, 2020
Supporting Documents Deadline: January 15, 2020
References Deadline: January 15, 2020
- We have a single admission cycle per year. By early January, students apply for admission in the following academic year, starting in Fall (September) semester.
- The department adheres to SFU's English-language requirements for graduate-program admission. Applicants not meeting the minimum standards will not be considered.
- Prospective applicants are not required to find a supervisor before applying. Admitted applicants will be assigned a supervisor.
- GRE test results are neither required nor considered.
- The department does not not accept qualifying students or non-degree students into the graduate program, nor does it offer a post-bachelor diploma or certificate; however, it does offer second undergraduate degrees. Please contact the Statistics and Actuarial Science Advisor for further details about a second undergraduate degree in Statistics or Actuarial Science.
- To increase the chances of graduate admission, prospective applicants may wish to complete advanced coursework for undergraduate majors/honors in Statistics and Actuarial Science. Such coursework can help applicants meet admission GPA requirements or establish an equivalent background to be competitive in the admissions process. For further details, please contact the Statistics and Actuarial Science Advisor.
- Letters of reference - Three (3) reference letters are submitted through the online application system by the referees directly. Once your application is submitted, an automatic email will be sent to your referees with complete instructions for submitting their letters of reference.
- Unofficial transcripts and other requried documents are to be uploaded to the online application.
- Official transcripts are only required when an offer has been made. If offered, please send 1 copy of each Official Transcript from your Post-Seconday Institution(s) to the Department, Attention: Graduate Admissions.
- Please do not mail hard copies to the department (unofficial/official transcripts, cv, references, unofficial language scores). Please see below for more details on submitting your official TOEFL/IELTS scores.
- Before you apply
- Admission requirements
- Tuition fees International students pay the same fees as domestic students
- Application process
- How to pay fees
- Medical insurance
- Questions for your supervisor
US and International
- International Academic Requirements
- TOEFL or IELTS - Request electronic submission to be sent to Simon Fraser University (institution code is 0999)
- Fees and Cost of Living
- Medical Insurance - International
- International Student and Advising (ISAP)
- Permits and Documents
Please see our Department Graduate Program Brochure for more details
Teaching and Research Assistantships are available to students under the following departmental policy. Most TA work is performed in our open workshop for undergraduates. There are also a number of competitive scholarships and fellowships available. However, many of them have restrictive clauses in their terms of reference which make them inaccessible to most students seeking graduate degrees in Statistics and Actuarial Science. Generally we accept only students for whom some combination of TA and RA work is available to provide full support.
For further information, please contact:
Graduate Program Secretary email@example.com